Thursday, November 27, 2014
Thursday, October 23, 2014
Sunday, September 28, 2014
The criminal prohibitions on speech in Canada are shameful. Section 319 of the Canadian Criminal Code [so called “hate speech” law] is a ridiculous law, which is used to silence and stifle a SINGLE viewpoint in Canada. The “hate law” has little to do with stopping “hate” … and all to do with censoring and harassing a marginalized group of Canadians who dare to speak out on controversial topics.
Like the disgraced Section 13 “hate speech” law; now repealed and repudiated; the criminal prohibitions on speech have been used and abused by vocal special interest groups to target their political enemies – all risk free of course; since the Canadian state picks up the tab and uses the power of the police and judiciary to crush anyone who dares fight back.
The petition which the Ontario Civil Liberties Association has put forward is well worth reading and signing.
WTF! Is this Canada or Absurdastan? No Canadian should ever be charged under this fake law for holding NON-VIOLENT “CONTROVERSIAL” opinions which may hurt the feelings of the privileged few.
From: "Joseph Hickey - OCLA" <email@example.com>
Dear OCLA Supporter,
Please take a moment to read and consider signing OCLA's petition in defence of the civil rights of Arthur Topham, a BC man who is currently being prosecuted under a "Hate Propaganda" section of Canada's Criminal Code. The petition is online at the following link: http://www.change.org/p/hon-suzanne-anton-attorney-general-of-bc-jag-minister-gov-bc-ca-hon-suzanne-anton-retract-your-consent-for-the-criminal-proceedings-against-mr-arthur-topham?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created
OCLA has the position that sections 318 to 320 of the Criminal Code should be repealed. These sections allow egregious violations of the civil rights of liberty, just process, and freedom of expression. Under these provisions, a person can be jailed without the Crown being required to prove any actual harm to a single identified individual.
Mr. Topham was arrested in front of his spouse, detained, subjected to a home-invasive seizure, and faces jail time if convicted, for expressing his highly unpopular views.
OCLA’s public statement on this matter is available at: http://ocla.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/OCLA-statement-re-Arthur-Topham.pdf
Please read OCLA’s letter to the BC Attorney General asking her to withdraw her consent for this prosecution, which is available at: http://ocla.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2014-09-24-Letter-OCLA-to-AG-of-BC.pdf
Ontario Civil Liberties Association (OCLA) http://ocla.ca
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
| || |
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
We are involved in a case that will set case law on this matter that will either give us protection for our political speech, or give the court's blessing to this practice.
The case is about words that were posted on our website by a poster who was using a pseudonym and he made a negative comment about the pseudonym of another political blogger.
If we can be punished for this, then nobody is safe.
The court has appointed an expert witness to testify about the nature of online discourse and ordered the parties to pay for him. In addition, a case that was scheduled for three days has ballooned to 14 days, and it could turn out to be more!
We believe that the expert will be valuable in communicating to the court that online conversation should not be considered equal to content in other media that has been vetted by an editorial board and presented as "news".
We think we can get a good decision that will protect all of us, but we need your help to get it done!
Please help us by donating what you can, and/or by sharing this campaign through your social media.
We are able to accept donations outside of this campaign and add them to the total, so if you would prefer to use PayPal, you can contact me at the email below.
If you prefer to use an Interac e-Transfer, you can send it to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Or, if you like using the mail, our address is as follows:
2000 Unity Rd
Elginburg, ON K0H 1M0
Thank you for your help!
Mark and Connie Fournier
Friday, August 1, 2014
Complaining about Insufficient Complaints
by Mark Steyn
July 31, 2014
In my SteynPost on Michael Mann's Clime Syndicate and the latest beneficiary of their offers you can't refuse, I mentioned my previous legal battles with Canada's "human rights" regime over Section 13. Brian Storseth's private member's bill took an eternity to crawl through Parliament all the way through to Royal Assent, but it got there in the end and Section 13 formally bit the dust just last month. By then, I wasn't in the mood for celebrating, but I'm glad to see someone's been popping the champagne corks at this belated but significant victory.
In 2008, when Ezra Levant and Maclean's and I found ourselves caught in the cross-hairs of Canada's "human rights" commissions, we had the great good fortune to be ensnared at the same time as Marc Lemire. …
“Instead, Lemire pushed back hard, and became, from their point of view, the defendant from hell.”
See the entire posting by Mark Steyn at: http://www.steynonline.com/6495/complaining-about-insufficient-complaints
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
- June 29, 2006: The CHRC’s head policy advisor meets with Muslims in Toronto urging them to lay hate complaints with regards to “anti-Islamic comments in the media”.
- October 20, 2006: Macleans Magazine runs a cover story “Why the Future Belongs to Islam” which was reproductions from Mark Steyn’s book “America Alone”
- August 13, 2007: Complaint against Steyn/Macleans filed with CHRC by the Canadian Islamic Congress. 
A couple representatives of the Muslim community expressed concern that the threshold for hate was too high and that much of what they perceived as anti-Islamic comments in the media and elsewhere would not be included in the current definition of hate. I referred them to the [Name redacted by CHRC] article in the Hate on the Internet magazine, copies of which I had distributed.
They also questioned whether the Commission would accept complaints dealing with anti-Muslim sentiments. I assured them that the Commission was fully committed to fulfilling its mandate under section 13.
Overall I think this round of meetings was successful in the continuing process of networking with key stakeholders and of furthering the Commission initiatives in the areas of disability and hate on the Internet.”
- Europe has been transformed into “Eurabia” by massive immigration. The article said "...There are signs that Allah will grant Islam victory in Europe - without swords, without guns, without conquests. The fifty million Muslims of Europe will turn it into a Muslim continent within a few decades."
- "The Muslim world has youth, numbers and global ambitions. The West is growing old and enfeebled, and lacks the will to rebuff those who would supplant it. It's the end of the world as we've known it."
- Canada is changing because of demographics (Low birth rate of Canadians, high birth rate of Muslims) “Age + Welfare = Disaster for you; Youth + Will = Disaster for whoever gets in your way”
- Islam has serious global ambitions, and it forms the primal, core identity of most of its adherents
- “not all Muslims are terrorists — though enough are hot for jihad to provide an impressive support network of mosques from Vienna to Stockholm to Toronto to Seattle.”
- "Just look at the development within Europe, where the number of Muslims is expanding like mosquitoes. Every Western woman in the EU is producing an average of 1.4 children. Every Muslim woman in the same countries is producing 3.5 children" 
- 20070917 - Western Standard - Censure the censors
- 20071205 - Macleans - Got a complaint call 1-800-HumanRights
- 20071206 - Calgary Herald - Constitutional rights must be protected
- 20071208 - London Free Press - Freedom of the press attacked
- 20071209 - Ottawa Citizen - Suing for Silence
- 20071212 - CBC News - Tory minister slams Islamic Congress
- 20071216 - NYPost - Canada’s Thought Police
- 20071216 - Ottawa Citizen - The new totalitarians
- 20071217 - Spectator UK - The Blood Runs cold
- 20071218 - Chilliwack Times - Quit validating pro victims
- 20071218 - IsraelNationalNews - Mark Steyn is Not Alone
- 20071218 - National Post - Censorship In The Name Of Human Rights
- 20071219 - Calgary Herald - Shut down the human rights commissions
- 20071219 - Lifesite - Mark Steyn wakes up Canadian press to CHRC
- 20071220 - CanadianFreePress - Human Rights Tribunals
- 20071220 - GeorgeJonas - Turning out the lights
- 20071221 - BC Catholic - There IS Someone left
- 20071225 - FrontPageMagazine - Stand by Steyn
- 20071228 - Truro Daily - Myths Legends and some truths
- 20080103 - Macleans - Heres what offends this writer
- 20080112 - Economist - Mark Steyn and the Thought Police
- 20080521 - ChronicleHerald - Bad times for Free Speech
- 20081118 - ChronicleHerald - Ground shifting on HRC battle
- 20081124 - GlobeandMail - Tribunal shouldn’t police hate
- See an assortment of Media articles here: http://www.freedomsite.org/legal/charts/Articles_on_Sec13.pdf
Kenneth Whyte, Editor in Chief of Macleans Magazine
Q: Even though you were successful in court, do you worry that your case will have a negative impact on journalism in the future, either through more publications self-censoring to avoid lawsuits or more human rights complaints being filed over legitimate journalistic content?
A: Yeah. There will absolutely be self-censoring, and it will be harder going forward to have clear and full debates on a lot of important issues like race or religion or public policy because of this. 
In the case of Macleans magazine, which was represented by two prominent lawyers through three separate complaints and a 5-day hearing before the BC Human Rights Tribunal – the costs were staggering. According to Mark Steyn, speaking on Calgary’s AM770, Macleans Magazine and Rogers Media Inc. spent upwards of $1,000,000 to defend against the human rights complaints.
In this book, Mark republishes all the essays Mohamed Elmasry, the Canadian Islamic Congress and their enablers in Canada's disgusting "human rights" regime attempted to criminalize, along with new material responding to his accusers. He also takes a stand against the erosion of free speech in Canada, Britain and elsewhere, and the advance of a creeping totalitarian "multiculturalism"; and he considers the broader tensions between Islam and the west in a time of unprecedented demographic transformation.
Roaming from America to Europe to Australia, Lights Out is a trenchant examination of the intersection of multicultural progressivism and a resurgent Islam - and of the implications for liberty in the years ahead. And don't forget, when you order from SteynOnline, the Flagrant Islamophobe Steyn will be happy to autograph it to you or your loved one in his own disgustingly flagrant manner.
- The Obituary of CHRC Censorship [Part 1]: http://blog.freedomsite.org/2014/06/section-13-is-officially-repealed.html
- The Obituary of CHRC Censorship [Part 2]: Modus Operandi of the CHRC: “simple forced deletion of the message” http://blog.freedomsite.org/2014/06/the-obituary-of-chrc-censorship-part-2.html